Dear Wilson

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Save Yolks for Custard

Dear Wilson,

This is the title of my new novel -- to be written when I am fifty and my kids are in college and I have oodles of time to sit, ponder, write. I called Mom for Grandma's cornflake cookie recipe last night. Jack and I both had a craving for them. I think they are called macaroons, but if you say that to a kid they don't get eaten. Mom had the recipe and read it over the phone to me. It takes 3 egg whites and at the end of the directions she said, "Oh, and save the yolks for custard." This put us both in a fit of giggles. Each of which is commentary on modern mothering today.

#1 -- Today's Mothers Have a Lack of Culinary Skill .... For me to even crack the egg in such a way that I don't end up with yolks mixed in is a feat in itself.

#2 -- Recycle and Reuse is a great thought, but not practical ... For me to actually save and then remember and then reuse egg yolks is so far fetched I am more apt to grow and egg from a seed in my yard.

#3 -- The days of Grandma's recipe notes is long over. Yes, I have a collection of recipes that I've written down, commented on, but generally when I'm going to make something I check the internet, print, discard.

Now I hope my sister will comment on this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home